Who We Are
In January 2013, Anderson County, Tennessee conducted a homeless persons point in time count as part of the U.S.. Department of Housing and Urban Development Annual Homeless Assessment. The results showed a significant transitional homeless population. A local temporary refuge for the transitional homeless was greatly needed by agencies as they worked on obtaining permanent housing. So the concept of AGAPE HOUSE was envisioned. In May 2013 the AGAPE HOUSE plan was put into action when local residents made available a foreclosure home in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It required significant work and investment and the project enjoyed broad based community support. (See our supporters page). In February 2014 a Charter of Incorporation of a non-profit corporation was filed with the State of Tennessee and AGAPE HOUSE officially opened and welcomed its first guests. On November 6th, 2014 Agape House of Oak Ridge received it's 501c3 Federal non profit organization status retroactive to February 26th, 2014. In February 2016 Agape House 2 our second location opened and was immediately occupied. On February 19th, 2017 our third location was opened.
The primary purpose of AGAPE HOUSE is to provide for our guests short term, temporary housing and other support services as a stepping stone on their path to self sufficiency. All guests are referred by one of our referring agency partners and only one guest family per location.
What We Do
Agape House located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, is a temporary refuge for transitional homeless persons who are referred by a local partnering agency. We provide short term housing and other support services as steps toward self sufficiency.
- Before being placed in Agape House guests will need to have a firm housing plan and a fixed exit date established by the referring agency.
- Stays will be short term (30 days or less) and the referring agency may have to post a security deposit.
- All potential guests will personally meet with the Agape managers before being accepted.
- All guests will sign a lease agreement that includes the rules of Agape House.
- There is no cost to either the referring agency or the guest.
Agape House would like to recognize the following partners and referring agencies.
- Habitat for Humanity Anderson County
- TORCH Trinity Out-Reach Center of Hope
- Ecumenical Storehouse
- United Way Anderson County
- Ridgeview Behavioral Health Services
- Prevent Child Abuse Tennesse
Our Current Status
Agape House 2 is unoccupied and available
Agape House 3 is unoccupied and available
We have a new Address!!
All correspondence should now be sent to the following address:
Agape House of Oak Ridge
PO Box 4932
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932 Please note that the zip code is 37831
We are starting a new movement for Giving Tuesday, November 28th. Lets add something to BOGO! Lets make it BOGOGO.
Buy One Get One Give One. Give your free "Get One" to a charity of your choice this Giving Tuesday.
Would you like to know more about Agape House ?
We would love to speak to your church or civic group about Agape House. Email or call us (Contact info below) to set up a time.
Like us on Facebook
We now have a Facebook page!! If you are a Facebook person please see our page and "LIKE US". Sign in to facebook and search Agape House of Oak Ridge. Connect us to your network so that we might grow.
Who Has Helped Us
Agape House wishes to thank the following people for their generous support.
- Karen Wiley
- Daniel Conrad MD.
- Peggy and Tom Hanrahan
- Mark and Benita Albert
- Tracy Pesut
- Chet and Jane Morris
- Jeremy and Whitney Biggs
- Jerry and Elizabeth Van Fossen
- Teresa Brittain
- Ray and Julie Kratt
- Danny Driver
- Bob and Carolyn Henderson
- Nancy Granoff
- Warren and Judy Gooch
- Rick Carringer
- Jennifer Lakers
- Steve Fielding
- Brian and Barbara Bovee
- Darrell and Janet Cook
- Sam and Stella Roberts
- Gordon and Sabrina Brewer
- Gerry and Charlie Hahs
- Evelyn O. Armstrong
- Joan Anderson (in Honor of Judy Cohan)
- Dan and Marilyn Nagle
- Robert and Marian Varner
- Elizabeth Rea
- Bill and Ouida Steinkamp
- Steve Fielden
- Carlos and Cindy Reed
- Brad and Erin Webb
- Sandy and Lawson Wright
- Judy Cohan
- Ron and Linda Battle
- Joseph and Thelma McGrory
- in honor of Roland and Mitze Fredrick
- Dan Robbins
- Jim Henry and Family
- Horace and Nancy Williams
- Jonathon and Donna Forstrom
- Steve and Ellen Kennel
- Mary Lou and John Auxier
- Linda Morel
- Gary Riser
- Bob and Maxine Shultz
- Susan Moore
- Teresa Brittain
- Dub Shults
- Ralph and Belinda Aurin
- Emily Jernigan
- Jennifer and Cooper Henry
- Thomas Bookhart
- Judy Kidd
- Maureen and Hal Hoyt
- Tom and Debby Clary
- Diane Wilson
- Adam Humpreys
- Thelma and Dick Tyndall
- Charles annd Betty Campbell
- Joan Anderson
- Denny and Ann Siemsen
- Eleanor Wistrom
- Bob and Carolyn Henderson
- Jane and Martin Grossbeck
- Stephen Bell and Rose Anne Hartman-Bell
- George and Andrea Wignall
- Bebe Arnold
- Ed and Judy Statzer
- Elisabeth Gallmeier
- Bettie Preston
- Tom and Pat Lakers
- Troy and Christina Forrester
- Joe Horton
- Tom Beehan and Kay Brookshire
- Wayne and Bea Garber
- Lissie and Michael Beehan
- Moonis and Nafis Ally
- Jerry and Christina Young
- Lois Martin and Larry Creech
- John and Martha Prazniak
- Al and Karen Reardon
- Pam and Hal Jernigan
- Fred and Sandra Barry
Agape House wishes to thank the following businesses and civic groups for their generous support.
- United Methodist Women
- ORUD Oak Ridge Utility District
- Bed'R Mattress Oak Ridge Jimmy Welch
- Chuck's Car Care
- New Reflections Salon Oak Ridge
- S & S Cleaning Company Sarah and Shelly
- Cumberland Presbyterian Women Ruth Circle
- Countryside Tire and Auto Jeff Cheek
- Oak Ridge Noon Rotary Club
- Crawl Space Ninjas
- Yahweh Sisterhood SS Class FUMC Oak Ridge
- First Christian Church Oak Ridge
- Koinonia SS Class First United Methodist Church
- Realty Center Peggy Hanrahan
- Enrichment Federal Credit Union
- Christian Homemaking Circle First United Methodist
- Summit Pest Control, Gordon Brewer
- Oak Ridge Unitarian Universalist Church
- Pinnacle Bank
- Downtown Hardware, Ann Bratton and Roger Clary
- Oak Ridge Breakfast Rotary Club Foundation
- ORNL Federal Credit Union
- Active Electric Heating and Cooling, Lynn Byrge
- Christian Homemaking Circle, First United Methodist
- John L. Soldano D.D.S.
- Tracy Larabee CPA
- Faith Lutheran Church
- Green Spot Irrigation, Glen Marlowe
- R&S Home Improvement owner Robert Scroggins
- The Other One Deli, Jimmy and Amanda
- Scandlyn Lumber, Kingston Lance Scandlyn
- Oak Ridge Woman's Club
- St. Stephen's Episcopal Church Oak Ridge
- The Ferrell Shop, Barbara Ferrell
- Ladies of Hope Oak Ridge
- Danny's Plumbing, Danny Scott
- Daughters of the King St. Stephens Episcopal Church
- First United Methodist Church (FUMC)
- Danny Driver Bailey Insurance
- Branches small group, FUMC Oak Ridge
- Lauren R Biloski Attorney Biloski and Associates
- Channing R Miller Attorney Bilosky and Associates
- United Church Chapel on the Hill
- Melvin Cotham Mel-Co Enterprises
- Creative Directions Circle small group FUMC
- Willow Ridge Garden Center
- Fellowship SS Class of FUMC Oak Ridge
- Shawn B. Foster LCSW
- Tri-County Small Animal Hospital Linda Osborne DMV
Members from the Oak Ridge Chapter Benevolent and Protective Order of the Elks recently donated a newly purchased wooden children’s play set to the Agape House of Oak Ridge. In addition to the wooden play set, Elks Lodge #1684 also donated excavation services, many loads of wood chips and play set accessories. With the combined efforts of Elks Lodge volunteers along with Agape House volunteers, the children’s play set was assembled on site at Agape House #3. The play set provides a fun, safe place for Agape House children to enjoy physical activities in order to release built up energy and anxieties while also fostering their dreams of future permanent housing and giving the children some much needed hope for their future.
Agape House FaceBook page now has 427 followers. We set a goal of 500 followers before the end of the year. If you haven't visited us please do and if you are a follower, PLEASE SHARE our page with your friends and ask them to LIKE US!
Bridges Out of Poverty training will continue in 2018. Look for the Spring Schedule soon
The cooperative effort between Agape House and United Way Anderson County is eager to offer more Bridges Out of Poverty introductory or module training sessions in 2018.
Together we can and will make our community a better place.
How You Can Help
- Pray for this initiative and for our Guests!!
- Invite Michael to speak at your church or civic group.
- Donate an item or two from our Current Needs list below.
- We, of course, would greatly appreciate monetary gifts. 100% of your contribution goes directly to the care and services for our guests. Tax deductible contributions to Agape House can be made by writing a check to Agape House of Oak Ridge and sending to Agape House of Oak Ridge PO Box 4932 Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932
Our Current Needs
- Family Oriented DVD's
- Childrens books and Legos
- Prayers for this initiative and for our Guests past, present and future!!
Agape House is pet free to be able to accommodate guests with allergies so families with pets need to find temporary refuge for them.
Remember this would be for less than 30 days and greatly appreciated by our guests. Email if your interested in helping with this.
Chairman Thomas J. Lakers
Secretary Frederick J. Barry
Treasurer Dr. James Henry
2016 Advisory Board
Assistant Director Ron Battle
Jenny Caughman Pastoral Care
Lauren R. Biloski Attorney
Channing R. Miller Attorney
Shawn B. Foster Licensed Social Worker
Tracy Larabee Accountant
Karen Reardon Groundskeeper
Al Reardon Business Administration
Katharina Gallmeier Marketing and Graphic Arts
Director of Agape House
Call us: 865-321-1130
Agape House of Oak Ridge
PO Box 4932
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932