Who We Are
In January 2013, Anderson County, Tennessee conducted a homeless persons point in time count as part of the U.S.. Department of Housing and Urban Development Annual Homeless Assessment. The results showed a significant transitional homeless population. A local temporary refuge for the transitional homeless was greatly needed by agencies as they worked on obtaining permanent housing. So the concept of AGAPE HOUSE was envisioned. In May 2013 the AGAPE HOUSE plan was put into action when local residents made available a foreclosure home in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. It required significant work and investment and the project enjoyed broad based community support. (See our supporters page). In February 2014 a Charter of Incorporation of a non-profit corporation was filed with the State of Tennessee and AGAPE HOUSE officially opened and welcomed its first guests. On November 6th, 2014 Agape House of Oak Ridge received it's 501c3 Federal non profit organization status retroactive to February 26th, 2014. In February 2016 Agape House 2 our second location opened and was immediately occupied. On February 19th, 2017 our third location was opened.
The primary purpose of AGAPE HOUSE is to provide for our guests short term, temporary housing and other support services as a stepping stone on their path to self sufficiency. All guests are referred by one of our referring agency partners and only one guest family per location.
What We Do
Agape House located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, is a temporary refuge for transitional homeless persons who are referred by a local partnering agency. We provide short term housing and other support services as steps toward self sufficiency.
- Before being placed in Agape House guests will need to have a firm housing plan and a fixed exit date established by the referring agency.
- Stays will be short term (30 days or less) and the referring agency may have to post a security deposit.
- All potential guests will personally meet with the Agape managers before being accepted.
- All guests will sign a lease agreement that includes the rules of Agape House.
- There is no cost to either the referring agency or the guest.
Agape House would like to recognize the following partners and referring agencies.
- Habitat for Humanity Anderson County
- TORCH Trinity Out-Reach Center of Hope
- Ecumenical Storehouse
- United Way Anderson County
- Ridgeview Behavioral Health Services
- Prevent Child Abuse Tennesse
Our Current Status
Agape House 2 is occupied until June 4,2018
Agape House 3 is unoccupied and available
We have a new Address!!
All correspondence should now be sent to the following address:
Agape House of Oak Ridge
PO Box 4932
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932 Please note that the zip code is 37831
Don't Miss Out. Get your Tickets Now! Willow Ridge Garden Center and the Ferrell Shop.
2018 Saturday, April 28th "An Evening of Everything Chocolate" Annual Fundraiser
Would you like to know more about Agape House ?
We would love to speak to your church or civic group about Agape House. Email or call us (Contact info below) to set up a time.
Like us on Facebook
We now have a Facebook page!! If you are a Facebook person please see our page and "LIKE US". Sign in to facebook and search Agape House of Oak Ridge. Connect us to your network so that we might grow.
Who Has Helped Us
Agape House wishes to thank the following people for their generous support.
- Karen Wiley
- Daniel Conrad MD.
- Peggy and Tom Hanrahan
- Mark and Benita Albert
- Tracy Pesut
- Chet and Jane Morris
- Jeremy and Whitney Biggs
- Jerry and Elizabeth Van Fossen
- Teresa Brittain
- Ray and Julie Kratt
- Danny Driver
- Bob and Carolyn Henderson
- Nancy Granoff
- Warren and Judy Gooch
- Rick Carringer
- Jennifer Lakers
- Steve Fielding
- Brian and Barbara Bovee
- Darrell and Janet Cook
- Anonymous Gift to Honor Agape Volunteers
- Sam and Stella Roberts
- Gordon and Sabrina Brewer
- Gerry and Charlie Hahs
- Evelyn O. Armstrong
- Joan Anderson (in Honor of Judy Cohan)
- Dan and Marilyn Nagle
- Robert and Marian Varner
- Elizabeth Rea
- Bill and Ouida Steinkamp
- Steve Fielden
- Carlos and Cindy Reed
- Brad and Erin Webb
- Sandy and Lawson Wright
- Judy Cohan
- Ron and Linda Battle
- Joseph and Thelma McGrory
- In Honor of Roland and Mitze Fredrick
- Dan Robbins
- Jim Henry and Family
- Horace and Nancy Williams
- Jonathon and Donna Forstrom
- Steve and Ellen Kennel
- Mary Lou and John Auxier
- Linda Morel
- Dennis Haley
- Gary Riser
- Bob and Maxine Shultz
- Susan Moore
- Teresa Brittain
- Dub Shults
- Ralph and Belinda Aurin
- Emily Jernigan
- Jennifer and Cooper Henry
- Thomas Bookhart
- Judy Kidd
- Maureen and Hal Hoyt
- Tom and Debby Clary
- Diane Wilson
- Adam Humpreys
- Thelma and Dick Tyndall
- Charles annd Betty Campbell
- Joan Anderson
- Denny and Ann Siemsen
- Eleanor Wistrom
- Bob and Carolyn Henderson
- Jane and Martin Grossbeck
- Stephen Bell and Rose Anne Hartman-Bell
- George and Andrea Wignall
- Bebe Arnold
- Ed and Judy Statzer
- Elisabeth Gallmeier
- Bettie Preston
- Tom and Pat Lakers
- Troy and Christina Forrester
- Joe Horton
- Tom Beehan and Kay Brookshire
- Wayne and Bea Garber
- Lissie and Michael Beehan
- Moonis and Nafis Ally
- Jerry and Christina Young
- Lois Martin and Larry Creech
- John and Martha Prazniak
- Al and Karen Reardon
- Pam and Hal Jernigan
- Fred and Sandra Barry
Agape House wishes to thank the following businesses and civic groups for their generous support.
- United Methodist Women
- ORUD Oak Ridge Utility District
- Bed'R Mattress Oak Ridge Jimmy Welch
- Chuck's Car Care
- New Reflections Salon Oak Ridge
- S & S Cleaning Company Sarah and Shelly
- Cumberland Presbyterian Women Ruth Circle
- Countryside Tire and Auto Jeff Cheek
- Oak Ridge Noon Rotary Club
- Yahweh Sisterhood SS Class FUMC Oak Ridge
- First Christian Church Oak Ridge
- Koinonia SS Class First United Methodist Church
- Realty Center Peggy Hanrahan
- Methodist Medical Center
- Enrichment Federal Credit Union
- Christian Homemaking Circle First United Methodist
- Summit Pest Control, Gordon Brewer
- Oak Ridge Unitarian Universalist Church
- Y-12 Federal Credit Union Gives Foundation
- Fox and Farley Attorneys at Law
- Pinnacle Bank
- Diversified Electric
- Mayor Pro Tem Rick Chinn
- Downtown Hardware, Ann Bratton and Roger Clary
- Oak Ridge Breakfast Rotary Club Foundation
- ORNL Federal Credit Union
- Active Electric Heating and Cooling, Lynn Byrge
- John L. Soldano D.D.S.
- Howard Hildreth Realty and Insuramce
- Tracy Larabee CPA
- Faith Lutheran Church
- Ridgeview Behavioral Center
- R&S Home Improvement owner Robert Scroggins
- Scandlyn Lumber, Kingston Lance Scandlyn
- Oak Ridge Woman's Club
- St. Stephen's Episcopal Church Oak Ridge
- The Ferrell Shop, Barbara Ferrell
- Ladies of Hope Oak Ridge
- Danny's Plumbing, Danny Scott
- Daughters of the King St. Stephens Episcopal Church
- First United Methodist Church (FUMC)
- Branches small group, FUMC Oak Ridge
- Lauren R Biloski Attorney Biloski and Associates
- Channing R Miller Attorney Bilosky and Associates
- United Church Chapel on the Hill
- Creative Directions Circle small group FUMC
- Willow Ridge Garden Center
- Fellowship SS Class of FUMC Oak Ridge
- Shawn B. Foster LCSW
- Tri-County Small Animal Hospital Linda Osborne DMV
There was a lot of chocolate eating going on as over 150 guests supported our fundraiser. We reached our fundraising goal again this year thanks to all of you so we would like to thank all our guests and volunteers. Here's a list of our event major sponsors. Please support them and/or say thank you for helping to make our community better by supporting Agape House of Oak Ridge!
Karen Wiley, Eleanor Wistrom, Lauren Biloski & Channing Miller Law Office, United Church Chapel on the Hill, Tom and Debbie Clary, ORUD Oak Ridge Utility District, Willow Ridge Garden Center, In Memory of Sally Williams, Howard Hildreth Realty and Insurance, Peggy Sells Homes Realty Center, Cyndie and Rodney Renfro, (Y-12 Gives Foundation, Kent Smitherman MD, Dennis Haley, Tracy J. Larabee CPA, Kay Brookshire & Tom Beehan,
Tracy Pesut MD.
Bridges Out of Poverty training class will be held on Friday May 25th, 2018 from 8:00-11:00 am at the United Methodist Church.
There are openings still available. Training is free and books are $25 but not mandatory. This is an excellentent opportunity for anyone who is involved with struggling people and wishes to understand them and themselves better. This is a cooperative effort between Agape House and United Way Anderson County.
Together we can and will make our community a better place.
How You Can Help
- Pray for this initiative and for our Guests!!
- Invite Michael to speak at your church or civic group.
- Donate an item or two from our Current Needs list below.
- We, of course, would greatly appreciate monetary gifts. 100% of your contribution goes directly to the care and services for our guests. Tax deductible contributions to Agape House can be made by writing a check to Agape House of Oak Ridge and sending to Agape House of Oak Ridge PO Box 4932 Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932
Our Current Needs
- Good condition washer and dryer
- Twin Bed
- Small kitchen table and chairs
- Tall kitchen trash bags 20 Gal
- Paper towels and toilet paper
- Family Oriented DVD's
- Prayers for this initiative and for our Guests past, present and future!!
Chairman Thomas J. Lakers
Secretary Donna Mosby
Treasurer Dr. James Henry
2016 Advisory Board
Assistant Director Ron Battle
Jenny Caughman Pastoral Care
Lauren R. Biloski Attorney
Channing R. Miller Attorney
Shawn B. Foster Licensed Social Worker
Tracy Larabee Accountant
Karen Reardon Groundskeeper
Al Reardon Business Administration
Katharina Gallmeier Marketing and Graphic Arts
Andrew Frost IT and Tech Consultant
Director of Agape House
Call us: 865-321-1130
Agape House of Oak Ridge
PO Box 4932
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-4932